The Bed

The next couple of years I was busy with a new home and I did not have much time to build furniture.  I did build a custom three-tier deck with a hot tube and a 12 ft tall play set for the kids in the back yard.  Once these things were done, I got back to building furniture.

The next major wood working project was a captains bed for my youngest son.  I took the photo in 2003; however, I build the bed somewhere around 1995 or 1996.

The design came out of a woodworking magazine.  As I remember, there were a number of projects that I built out of that one magazine, but the bed was the most ambitious.

This is called a “Captain’s Bed.”  All the corners are rounded and there are drawers integrated under the mattress inside the bed frame.  This seemed perfect for a little boy.

The bed is made out of birch.  This is the first time I used birch on a woodworking project.  I had to go to a mill and special order the material.  This was also a first in my pursuit of woodworking.

Later you will see that I built a matching dresser and desk.  This will be a post for another day.  I recently sold the bed, nightstand and dresser when my son decided after 13 years in the bed, it was time to upgrade to another bed.

I found another picture of the bed just before I sold the set (2009).  This will give you a good idea what the three-piece set looked like and how it functioned.  Not bad considering I started this around ’96 and I sold it in 2009!

Where It All Started

So this is how it all started……Back in 1992 my father gave me a clock kit.  It consisted of a clock movement, a set of plans and 1 x 10 x 10′ prime walnut board.  My father wanted to do woodworking; however, he never seem to find the time to do it.  He offered the kit to me stating that he would never get around to building the clock.

I was intrigued at the thought of build the clock.  I had never worked with walnut and I believed I was capable of excellent work.  Unfortunately, right after I received the kit, I was transferred to Rochester, NY from Detroit Michigan.  It took several months to get established and finally I started working on the clock.  I had a small workshop in the basement of my new home.  In retrospect it was a terrible place to do woodworking.

My first attempts were an utter failure.  I ruined the entire walnut board trying to cut, router, and assemble.  I still have all of the pieces I tried to make.  I put the kit away for several more months and during this time I read many magazines that taught woodworking techniques

I bought another walnut board ($100).  My second attempt was better but still not acceptable.  I finally finished the clock in 1994 and judge for yourself but I think it turned out pretty good!

Walnut Clock

I presented this clock as a gift to my father in February 1994.  When I gave it to him, I asked to get it back when he passed away as part of his will.  In 2003 (the year I photographed the clock) my dad passed away and the clock was returned to me.

The clock sits proudly in my office.  I look at it every day.  It reminds me to think of my father and it was the beginning of a life long passion. 

I will publish a larger picture of the clock and follow-up with the next story later this week.

Making Progress Setting Up My Blog, But Still Work-In-Process

Today There has been a lot of changes made to my blog since yesterday.  I am working through the tutorial and I have changed the theme, layout and description of this blog.  This is still very much work in process.

Since this site is going to be dedicated to my woodworking passion, I thought it might be nice to show you a picture of my woodshop under construction.   (Really what I am trying to do is figure out how to add content to a post and to see what it looks like when it is published.)  There is a long story to tell about the woodshop; however, I need to lay some ground work on how I got into woodworking.  I will start with this once I finish setting up the website.